Car accidents are scary, overwhelming and stressful events for people to experience. After a car accident, you will likely be shaken up and unsure of how best to proceed as you deal with injuries and property damage. While you are experiencing pain and trying to deal with your injuries, you may need to deal with insurance companies, fill out police reports, arrange to have your vehicle repaired and try to find alternative means of transportation to your doctors’ visits. In the midst of all this overwhelming activity, proving that another driver is “at fault” or “liable” for your injuries may be the last thing on your mind. However, valuable evidence necessary to protect your rights can be lost by not acting quickly. This is why you need a skilled and knowledgeable personal injury attorney on your side who understands how to gather the evidence that will help you receive the compensation you deserve for your injuries.
The Value of An Experienced Attorney
It is important to secure the services of an attorney as soon as possible after an accident for two primary reasons. First, by hiring an experienced attorney immediately allows you to be solely focused on recovering from your injuries. Second, as time passes, valuable evidence necessary to prove your case can be forever lost. The experienced attorney knows exactly what steps need to be taken in order to fully protect your rights and preserve this valuable evidence. By hiring an experienced attorney that you trust and has a track record of obtaining great results, you know that the lawyer is taking the necessary steps on your behalf. For example, experienced lawyers will visit the scene of the crash and conduct a thorough inspection, which would include obtaining following:
- Security camera footage – Storefronts and businesses near the scene of an accident often have security cameras that catch a crash on tape. However, this footage is often only kept for a limited time, and it may be erased or taped over after a few weeks. A skilled attorney will be able to find this crucial evidence before it is lost.
- Eyewitnesses Statements – During investigation of an accident scene, your lawyer can speak to employees at nearby businesses who may have observed the crash but were not listed as witnesses in official police reports. Securing the statements of eyewitnesses early on, while their memory is still fresh, can make a big difference when demonstrating liability.
- Blue light cameras – The Chicago police department uses Police Observation Devices (PODs) which are located across the city, and these cameras often capture crashes that occur. However, footage from these cameras is typically only saved for 30 days or less. An experienced lawyer will be able to determine whether footage of your crash exists and obtain this important evidence before it is erased.
- Photographs – Your attorney can take pictures of the scene of the accident, ensuring that any relevant details are included, such as skid marks, road signs, roadway defects, and road construction. An experienced attorney will understand what to look for and how these details can be used to prove the other driver is at fault.
- Preserving Vehicles – When involved in catastrophic crashes, sometimes the vehicles are totaled and destroyed before all evidence is removed. Some vehicles have “black boxes” that provide valuable information about the speed of the vehicles before the crash. This type of evidence can be critical when the other driver claims he/she was not speeding. Also, consultants may need to inspect the vehicle to determine why airbags failed to deploy in particular crashes. This information would be necessary in order to bring a claim against a vehicle manufacturer for a product defect. An experienced lawyer will take the necessary steps to preserve all vehicles necessary to obtain full compensation on your behalf.
Contact a Chicago Personal Injury Lawyer
At Pullano & Siporin, we have a track record of obtaining record results by gathering any and all evidence in a timely fashion. We know how important your case is to you and your family. As a result, we work tirelessly when conducting investigations into the causes of a crash. We also work with the most qualified experts when necessary in order to properly and accurately reconstruct the crash when appropriate. If you have been injured a motor vehicle accident, you should immediately contact an attorney who understands the steps to take to ensure you will be able to receive compensation for the damages you have suffered. Contact our Cook County personal injury attorneys at 312-551-1100 to schedule a free consultation.